Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tues 10:31 pm. some bumps...more good.

This has been a most eventful  day. Emily is well and at the moment doing her inhalation therapy treatment, the one where we have to clear the room for an hour. Perhaps, a little perspective. From a distance I imagine that this transplantation has seemed a bit like a really good Hallmark Movie. You know all beautiful shots and smiling characters all around. Things have gone well, we are constantly thankful and humbled by what is being done here. But there is also a gritty and earthy side to all of this. The days are a fog in some ways. It has been typical for the last formal medical treatment to end at 1:00 am at the very earliest. Then at about 4:30 am is the first chest x-ray of the day, taken to be available for the surgical team making rounds between 6 and 8. First oral med is at 6, another batch at 9. Overlaying this is the constant to and fro of the nurses changing IV bags, taking vitals and after the horrible night when Emily's O2 levels plunged they make damn sure the telemintry devices are sending accurate info to the monitors in the nurses station. They never rest, the nurses, to work on a floor like this you had better be good and we are in awe of their care and devotion. We are profoundly grateful to them. But back to the night, just in case emily gets the idea of sleep the techs drop by every now and again to draw blood. The days don't quite settle and everything is a major production. need to pee ? It is a chore for Emily. It takes at least 15 minutes to align all the tubes and lines and collection devices. Then pee. Then reverse it all. Wanna walk? Same deal but add in more gear. All the while monitoring pain and protecting the incision. The incision which opened the way to new life. The path for those worn out lungs to leave and and the gift of the beautiful new ones to enter. Hook your thumbs in your armpits, imagine a smiley face connecting those two points, following a line just below the breasts but above the bottom of the rib cage. That is it, the big cut. The surgery team looks at this whenever they are in and check the tubes insertion points and output. Today the liked what they were seeing and promised and afternoon reevaluation. At around 10 the pain team entered, they are very thoughtful and kind. They recommended a bold move, discontinuing the meds going into the epidural block. Time to try to wean off but with a certainty of more pain. A necessary step. After an our or two some pain returned and then it came back with vengeance. Almost bringing her down on walk and back to bed, While there was a scramble to restart the  epidural and up the morphine. The pain eased but the morphine brought  a terrible wave of nauseau and retching. A really bad thing when you have been cut from side to side. After a too long of this an anti nasuseu med brought this under some control. At just that moment the surgeons, they also travel in packs of at least three, reappeared  with the big dog in the lead. This was a rare afternoon sighting of the transplant surgeon. A good but busy guy. After some serious talking and discussing they decided to pull two chest tubes . Wahoo! This was done a few minutes later and x rays a while later confirmed that at least for the moment all is well. A few hours later, sweet surprise , they came back for a third. This is an important step at a critical stage. Three years ago, when things got side ways , this was pivitol moment. Right now all is well and we just know it will remain so. Then it was off to x ray, Emily refused a ride and walked, they had to get special permission from the charge nurse, to allow this. While the tubes were pulled they asked Emily to hum to help seal the hole while it was stitched. 10 days ago if you had asked her to do this she would have had to shake her head no. Breathing was so hard that she had begun to pause between words. Today she let out such a long loud note that the surgeon started to laugh. Peg and I just teared up a bit. Emily grinned, as did the angels cause it was a sweet sweet sound that did not end in a racking fit of coughing. All you old RMS choir folks would ave approved.
Tomorrow, perhaps the 4th and final tube will be removed. We hold our breathe that all is good with the first three gone. Nice idea, Emily can now hold her breathe again. YES. So while not as smooth as that hallmark movie, today does get past the bumps and leave us all feeling good and optimistic. thanks for the support, keep it flowing........
Keith              

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing, wonderful and miraculous! My love to you all. Dear Emily...what a sweet, sweet song that long note was...Sleep well tonight and dream of singing your song all the way from a hospital xray lab to the top of a mountain, where I'm sure, soon you'll be standing.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey em, Peg and Keith, I'm glad some of those damn tubes are gone! Yes! And Emily can hold her breath AND HUM!!! WOW!!! That is powerfully beautiful in its simplicity and in its complexity.
    We're hanging with you, you're doing fantastic!
    Shine on, Miss em!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ExtrEm, Your blog has become a big part of my day, It is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do before I go to bed. I also must admit I check it throughout the day if I get a chance. Hearing what you go through on a daily basis is incredible! The pain, the tubes, and all taken in stride your amazing!
    I don't know what it takes to have the prestige of being on your floor at the hospital, if its just transplants or if they care for our things as well, but this last weekend I sure tried my hardest to become your next door neighbor. So I drove to southern Idaho for a snow kiting festival. This was my first time on snow with my kite, which meant I had to get used to riding with my skis instead of my wake style board. Well to make a long story short, I was having a great time on this wide open, rolling hill, snow covered prairie land, dodging rocks random bushes and the occasional top rung of barb wire fencing. However as I was cruising along at about 20mph watching out for all these low lying objects I forgot about one thing, POWER LINES! yeah I flew all four of my kite lines right into power lines. It all happened so quick I tried to fly my kite back off the lines but right then the power lines began to light up and make the most gut wrenching popping buzzing sound you have ever heard! At this point I realized I probably shouldn't be attached to this thing anymore, but before I could get unhooked all four of my lines were melted and cut, sending my kite tumbling into the distance and me sitting there in the snow glad to be alive but wondering how I was going to make it a mile and a half back to the car in thigh deep snow!!! As it all sank in and I began to replay the scene of what had just happened and what could have happened, I thought of you extremily! Thinking if I had been life flighted somewhere, would I end up next to Extremily? We could have been neighbors! I also have to admit I wouldn't be embarrassed at all by those gowns they make you wear, that show a little cheek! To end the story lets just say its a good thing we practice tying knots because a square knot and a half hitch saved me a really long walk!
    Em, keep up the strong work, your such an inspiration, DK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I hope you guys are getting some decent sleep at least. Hang in there.

    kent

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an eventful day Tuesday was! How mmmaarrvelouss to be 3 tubes down. Em, you're a pro at 'rolling with the punches' but we do wish your medication weaning had gone a bit smoother. Praying that all to come goes well.
    Love to all - Pat, Randy, Jean & Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I am at a loss for words. I don't anyone who could handle the kind of pain Keith has described so powerfully. Emily, you are so strong!! Your poor body has been through so much in the past 25 years and you have handled every battle as you always do--with strength and the desire to live your life to the fullest. You understand that all this pain and struggle is a means to an end-an end to the daily battle of CF. You will come through this transplant an even stronger person, and go on to explore life with a new outlook and vigor.
    I am so thrilled the chest tubes were removed, did you do the visualization? I prayed for Granny to help you get through that. My prayers were answered!! I am sorry you had to experience so much pain with the removal of the epidural, can't they leave that in till you've healed some more? I am hoping you can get some sleep today.
    I know this is no Hallmark movie--we just haven't heard any of the nitty gritty till now. Dan's sister-in-law and I cried when we read today's post. She calls me and we marvel over this whole process. She remembers you from when you were 4 years old and played dress up with Sarah. Her prayers are with you everyday along with the rest of the family.
    Peg, I am asking Mommy to give you strength, she was the other stongest person in our family, and she is there for you.
    love and prayers,
    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, keith, for the eloquent discription. Running out of superlatives to declare emiily's stamina and positive striving. The hospital grind is just that "at best" and all of you are remarkable!

    bobby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Em, Peg and Keith,

    What a wonder! Thank you for writing this blog and keeping us informed.

    I am sending you blessings for healing. Sounds like all these new experiences must be a wonder for you. To take a breath and not cough must be so exciting!!!

    I look forward to checking in every day to read the progress.

    all the best,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello keith, peg, and emily;
    we are continuing to follow the postings and send healing vibes and Ho Tot energy northward your way. i can just hear those deep clear breaths and feel the feelings of joy and grind. Our hope is with you that each new day brings wellness and progress through all your hard work.
    it is raining hard here in town, several feet of new snow in the mountains.
    dave & kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, girl! I can hardly believe what I'm reading about all this humming business! Such an amazing thing, but I know it's not without a lot of hard work and pain behind it.

    Keep up the good work, Em! It's now less than 1 week til I fly home... see you soon!

    Love, love, all my love...
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from Tallahassee,

    What progress you have made Emily! Your courage and strength are inspiring to us all. Know that you are loved by many near and far.

    Hugs, Cathy Benton

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cried... next up Karaoke! Way to go Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nita, thank you for all the prayers and love, but there is something that I want, and need you, to understand. You typed in your comment to me "You understand that all this pain and struggle is a means to an end-an end to the daily battle of CF." I know those are meant as words of encouragement, but nothing could be farther from the truth. All the pain and struggle of the last week is not a means to an end. There is no end. There is no ending to the daily battle of CF.
    Cystic fibrosis is an incurable disease.
    Transplant is NOT a cure. THERE IS NO CURE. Transplant is an amazing and phenomenal form of treatment, but that is what it is, a TREATMENT option, not a cure.
    When I get discharged from the hospital, none of this magically stops as I pass through the hospital doors. Just because I am well enough to leave the hospital doesn't mean that now everything is okay. It never stops.
    Every day for the rest of my life I have to take upwards of twenty different medications to maintain the health and success of my transplant. I have to monitor my vital signs every day and keep a log so that my doctors can have plenty of data to track and treat me with.
    Many of these medications have to be taken at very specific times or else they won't work correctly and then I will begin to have issues with rejection of my new lungs.
    I did not get a transplant to be cured of cystic fibrosis. That is not how it works. With the advancements in medical technologies transplantation has become a way to help treat CF, but it is not cure. In many ways having a transplant is like trading one disease for another. Along with all of the amazing advantages and improvement in my health because of the transplant, there also comes a HUGE load of side affects, complications, risks, and responsibilities.
    All the pain and struggle of the last week are the begining of a new chapter in my life. Because of the transplant I am able to breathe again, and the quality of my life will dramatically increase because I will be able to fully participate in life an the world. Next to a cure, transplant is the best option for when a CF patient reaches end stage lung disease. If I had not been able to get this transplant then I would have died in the next three years. However, now I am looking at the whole rest of my life.
    I still have cystic fibrosis though, transplant does not make the disease go away. CF will not attack my new lungs because CF is genetic, these new lungs could only get CF if they were born with it. So although I will have normal functioning lung capacity, I still have CF throughout my body. All of the GI related complications of CF are not going any where, my diabetes won't go away, my Chronic Adrenal Insufficiency won't be fixed.
    Nothing will "put an end the daily battle of CF " except the discovery of a cure. Again, transplant is not a cure. It is an amazing treatment option, but not a cure.
    I want you to know and understand all of this so that you have the right idea of what it is I am doing and why. I know you wish I could be free of CF, I wish that too! But that is not ever going to be the case, at least not in my lifetime, and I did not decide to get a transplant with the idea that I was going to be cured. I decided to get a transplant because I felt I no longer had a quality of life that was acceptable or worth how much effort it took to maintain it. I put transplant off for as long as possible because it is not an easy decision and I wanted to suck every last bit of life out my first lungs for as long as I could.
    CF is a very complicated and multi-faceted disease, and I am still learning new things even after living with it for twenty-five years. I do not ever mind talking about it because I want people to be well informed and to understand to whatever degree that they are interested in. If you ever have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    I hope all of this made sense and that I didn't bombard you with too much information, but I feel that it is vitally important for people to understand that transplant is not cure, and that my CF is now going to be going away.
    Thank you for all the love and support, and your diligence in following this blog, I can almost feel you coming through the computer when I read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Em--ten days post-transplant and you have the strength to post this latest 8 PM manifesto! Right on! CF affects many things, but not your brain and not your heart. Keep on truckin' as an outpatient.

    Dr Ted

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Dearest Emily, thank you for clarifying things for me. I was mistaken, thinking this would cure you.

    Nita

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, you can choose Name/URL and just type in your name. Or choose anonymous and sign your name at the end of your comment.