Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Discharged.

So, as Keith just posted I get to go home tomorrow!!! Yippee!! But more importantly I get to take a shower tomorrow!!!! For the past nine days I have only been allowed to take sponge baths. (I never want to see another baby wipe again.) You cannot shower or take a bath when you have chest tubes in, and  then you have to wait 24hrs. to bathe after the last one gets pulled. I finally have all four tubes out, three came out yesterday and then the last one this morning.
Keith has already explained to you about the humming as part of the removal process, and this morning I had a very entertaining moment when the last tube came out. 
It was very early in the morning, and I was particularly blitzed out on morphine, and definitely not awake, but trying my best to keep my eyes open and be alert. The Doc had everything set up for tube removal, and he gave me the go ahead to take a few breaths and then hum as soon as I was ready. I took three long, deep breathes, an act that I am endlessly fascinated by these days. I cannot even begin to describe to you how amazing it is to be able to take a full breath. To be able to breath in and not instantly begin coughing is still such a novelty. And being able to pull, and inhale air all throughout my lungs, all the way down in my back to the deepest lobe and have those little aveoli sacs fill and plump up with oxygen, swelling and filling my chest, is almost a religious sensation. I can just sit with my eyes closed and breath endlessly, each breath like opening up yet again my favorite ever christmas present.
I think I was off somewhere deep in this rhythmic breathing orgasm dance when a voice comes floating through asking "Are you okay? You can hum anytime now, whenever you are ready." I opened my eyes and slightly tilted my head, blinked in confusion, and said "yes, I know, I have already hummed a whole song, why haven't you pulled the tube out?" Everyone crowded around the bed busted out laughing, and I realized that only humming taking place was INSIDE my head. 
Last night I made some pretty outragious comments, all morphine induced of course. In the wee hours of morning Peg was helping me get to the bathroom and then back again, and as she was helping support me to lye me back down, I said something to the affect of "What are we going to do when I run out of armpits for getting the refugees to South America?" Don't ask,  I don't remember saying it, and I have no clue as to what I was talking about.
Those are just a few examples of my drugged induced rumblings. Keith and Peg kept all the notes I wrote them while still intubated, and once deciphered those will be out of control. We have also been taking many, many photos, documenting this journey and its many hurdles, steps, and triumphs. We will get some of those up here soon. I am of course inclined to post ones for sheer freak out factor. There are some pretty gnarly ones of bloody chest tube insertion sights, my poor traumatized skin from all of the rebandaging and endless amounts of tape. I have also managed to gain about seven pounds in water weight. The edema has begun to subside, but I kind of look like the Elephant Lady from Barnum and Bailey's Circus. I have the definition of kankles, my toes look like little sauages, and my whole feet are about three times theor normal size. (I am afraid that my tattoo on my foot is going to get stretched out=( A few days ago I was so full of water I looked like I was about seven months pregnant. Also on my left soulder and ribs I have what is called crepitis, air in the space between your bones and skin, it makes you look puffy and swollen, and in my case lopsided, and feels crunchy when you press on it. It is caused when there are holes in the lungs and air is leaking out to wear it is not supposed to be.  
I could go on and on about all of the weird random things I have been experiencing, saying, and doing during the least ten days, but I will save some for later.
Most importantly I have reached one of the first major checkpoints of this process, getting to get out of the hospital in a timely fashion with no major complications, and begin the long road of rehab at home.
Okay, the morphine is making it extremily difficult to piece together whole sentences, so I must go to sleep.
Love you all, and the next check in will be about the first transplant adventure outside of the hospital.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats Emily! Happy day for all. Good luck to you on this next chapter of your life adventure.

    Love to all,
    Uncle Greg and Aunt Jeaneen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I called Aunt Mary as soon as I read the blog, but Oredia had already beat me to it. We are all ecstatic. Tonight is our weekly get together, we will be celebrating with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, string beans, corn bread and sweet ice tea. I look forward to hearing about your adventures outside of the hospital.

    Love, prayers and positive thoughts.

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what exciting news. I suppose the Florida folks will be the first to learn that you have passed this milestone, so let me be among the first to say "well done". Keep it up and hurry home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!!!! What great news. Fabulous to hear from you yourself Emily. Enjoy your shower when you finally get it.

    Let us know if you need a four wheel drive to navigate Seattle's two inches of snow...
    Lorinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! How awesome that you get to be discharged! This is wonderful news. I didn't realize this check point could come so soon. Fantastic! All the best for the days ahead.
    Dave & Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. What incredible news, and how wonderful to hear from the ever entertaining and most definitely stoned Emily. If you find yourself running short of armpits for those South American refugees just let me know--i have two you can use! Despite all of the traveling you've done today should be your most amazing journey ever Em. A trip of a lifetime, and one so many of us have hoped for for such a long time.
    Hum away sweet one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news!!! I can't believe you're getting out so soon. What a trooper you are. Sounds like you're keeping everyone entertained. A shower!! Oh happy day! I remember 21 days on Outward Bound and how great that first shower felt.
    Good Luck on this extraordinary day, I hope the sun is shining to welcome you to the next phase of your recovery.
    Looking forward to pictures and more stories as only you can tell.
    lots of positive thoughts being sent your way,
    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  8. BOOYAH, BOOYAH!! We're all with you, sending our strength and energy for your continued journey.
    Love, Pat, Randy, Jean and Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well! That's just peachy, getting out of the hospital. A little apartment will seem like a castle. At least for a while. It's been a long, hard, row to hoe, hasn't it? Maybe things will settle down a bit now, and get a skosh easier. (Is that how you spell "skosh?") You must all feel a level of relief to get the ok to move on out. A few more weeks, and perhaps you can start to enjoy Seattle a little. Spring up there can be just miraculous, on those nice sunny days when they occur. So much green, and so much H20. There aren't many more beautiful cities on the planet. Russ and Lorinda have a nice little dock on the water at their place. You could visit them and sit out on their dock and soak up the sun. You may have to see your dad in a bathing suit though. That'd take your breath away (sure would mine!), which in your situation, may not be a good thing. Maybe he could go grocery shopping or something while you're out there, then you'd be safe.

    Love you all,

    k wick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and job well done. You all are amazing and I am so glad you can leave for better surroundings. Thinking of you and sending you lots of love. Gay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!!!!! Movin' on out...I'm looking forward to hearing about your first walk outside in the fresh air, trees and not being followed by the white coats.
    Big Hugs...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAYYY!!! best news yet! I'm so glad all of you are getting out. Sounds like a nice transition on your way home and into your new fresh world. em, it's so good to hear your voice on the blog, although Keith gets big points for an outstanding job, especially in finding the humor in some of this. I eagerly await your next report. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for you. You get to leave the hospital!! You get to take a shower!! I am really thankful for that one!!! I hope Peg and Keith found a nice place for all of you to stay while your in Seattle. You'll be back home in Eugene before you know it. Take care dear friend. Love to all of you, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats awesome, you can't get any real R and R until you get home anyways!!! I love you!
    Keep up the hard work and strength!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emily Rose: What a Christmas present you are for all of us. Deep, deep, breaths! Here I sit with a pesky cough, understanding first hand that you had this affliction within your body permanently. Not fun and most debilitating. To listen to these wonderful accounts makes me believe in hope and faith all the more. Where would any of us be without miracles like you? Please stay strong for yourself, your parents, and all of us. You can hum the Florida State fight song if you'd like. Blessings from Pam and Mike Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well hell yeah, Emily!!! Such great news that you're headed out of the hospital. I can't wait to go through some of the strange and surreal things you said with you over a cup of coffee when I get home. What song were you humming in your head by the way? Very curious what euphoria sounds like to you. Keep up the good work, darlin'. You're doing great! I'll be home this coming weekend and will try and give you a call. Can't wait to hear your voice if I can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats em!! Ahhhh yeah! Now if only we could have been discharged on the same day. Life is pretty entertaining right now, never a dull moment! I feel like I need to walk around with one of those beer helmets for my smoothies. Haha well I'm glad you get to finally shower 1) becuase I know how much you appreciate a nice hot, and long shower and 2) I know what you smell like after 9 days! Well best ad biggest thoughts from the brother bear

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I really hope you are gonna write a book, your writing is amazing and I have so much fun reading it. I would love to hear all the things you have said, I laughed out loud with the armpit one. Anyways, you are amazing and I cannot wait to hear how things go at home! Congratulations on getting out and enjoy your shower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Keith, Peg, and Emily,
    I've been reading your daily progress with great Joy and some unconscious breath-holding of my own during the writings of your tough times and mighty milestones. What wordsmythes you are. The word pictures you paint for us who are far away, really bring us right into the moments with you. Thanks so much for sharing this wonder-filled time. Betsie and my other girls in Eugene voice their encouragement and good thoughts and prayers with mine from down in Texas. You're a brave family, and a great honor and pleasure to know. Pace yourselves, as Dr. Roe would advise, as you well know, this is not a sprint, but a real marathon. Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emily,

    Wonderful news about your going home. Sounds like all the morphine is adding more color to your words. Play it save and pace yourself. Sure wish we could all meet at Aunt Mary's for some of that fried chicken. Yeah and I would bring some Cushaw Pie.

    Cousin Paula

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, wow, wow! Amazing stories and amazing young woman. I got behind on the posts and missed yesterday, so I had to cry and laugh doubly hard tonight. Thank you for sharing your stories with us, and bringing us along on your amazing journey. I find myself enjoying my breathing more, and thinking more about each breath than I ever did before--trying to imagine what that feels like for you. I know you all have limited energy, but it is a gift to all of us that you share it so articulately and humorously. The gruesome and poignant moments. It sounds like a great time to take up meditation--what better opportunity to truly experience and expand those wondrous lungs! Love to all, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Em!
    It's finally Friday morning, so I can officially say Happy Discharge/Shower Day!! I hope everything goes supersmoothly and that you and your parents and Nicki all get to SLEEP tonight. You guys are amazing.
    Sweet dreams and healthy thoughts!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Em! Sounds like your shower was amazing, as expected :)

    So happy that you're out and on your road to recovery!! Keep up your amazing strength and good attitude...

    Love you!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily -
    Great to hear your "voice". As someone mentioned above, you definitely have a book somewhere in your future. How awesome that you have such a great sense of humor throughout all this.
    We're plugging for you!
    Deb, Jim, and Rosella

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Emily,
    That shower is going to be nirvana! Empty the hot water heater, you deserve it!
    Big hugs,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, you can choose Name/URL and just type in your name. Or choose anonymous and sign your name at the end of your comment.