Thursday, February 19, 2009

Good Morning! 2/19/09@8am

Good morning beautiful people! Had a good night, long though because one of last breathing treatments doesn't get started until 2am! It takes about half and then no one is allowed in the room for another half an hour after the treatment is finished. It is this really intense stuff called Anfoterisin . (its nickname being "anfoterrible"because the side affects are so harsh.) It is an anti-fungal, which in general are pretty harsh medictions on the system, and it is good for me to breath in in order to protect my new lungs, but not good for regular lunged people to inhale.
Anyways we didn't get all of that done until 3am, and then didn't actually go to sleep until 4am, and then they wake you up at 6am for that morning's chest x-ray, and then between 6 and 7am the Dr.'s come by to do rounds, and then the nurse comes into to do her morning assessment, draw labs and feedme  my cup full of pills. So by 10 o'clock I am ready for a nap.

At one point I had 17 different access points for different drugs to go into, and some for drainage. I went through two arterial lines on m right wrist, but they both failed, so ended up with number three in the left wrist. I also have my Port-a-cath accessed, and then this wicked cool thing on my neck called a SWAN in my neck. The SWAN is a series of IV catheters that all go in at the same place, but then once they are in my neck they split of inside different veins so that they can deliver different things to different parts of the body. I also have a foley in for peeing, and then FOUR chest tubes to drain off all the blood and fluids from the surgery I also have to have blood pressure cuff on at all times, and a nasal canula for oxygen while these new lugs rest and recalibrate  to my body.
So yeah, that is a lot of holes with tubes. Talk about the Bionic Woman.
Okay, I am falling asleep while typing. More late.
emily rose

8 comments:

  1. Emily,
    You are such an amazing woman! Your strength is unbelievable and you are an inspiration to us all. I'm sending you tons of energy, love, and healing thoughts. Thanks so much for keeping us all posted. Stephanie and Austin (the 2 OHSU med students that you drove home from the Country Fair this summer) wanted me to wish you well. They've been asking for your updates as well and are so incredibly happy for you. You definitely have a cheering squad here in Portland!
    Much love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to receive a post from the star herself! The amazement by the whole clan continues. Soooo wonderful! How brave!

    bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, what a strong woman you are. You are such an inspiration to us all. I hope you consider writing a book giving us all the details. The way you tell a story is pricless. Keep up the good work, and feel all the love, energy and positive thoughts swirling through the universe with your name on them.
    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Emily-Well, I finally figured out how to send a comment.
    I am so happy for you...you sound great! Since you are already walking, dancing isn't far behind.
    I love reading the blog, it's been so helpful to know how you're doing and what's going on.
    During my meditations, I think about you and how wonderful breathing in and out, without coughing, must feel.
    Your zest for life is a lesson to us all. You are so strong and courageous. To seize life...that is what it's all about.
    And, what fabulous parents and friends you have. Their love for you is so evident in their writings.
    As always, you, your parents, the donor family and all the rest of us in this marvelous love bubble are in my prayers.
    btW-I just shot a pilot, bald. I figured I might as well embrace my cueball look. The makeup person had to keep powdering my shine down. My head is a little beacon like under all the lights. It's supposed to air on Showtime...we'll see.
    I'll write again, soon.
    Since I now teach kids acting, I'm going to delay my visit. I never get sick, but kids do. I don't want to bring their germs with me.
    Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think, when people brag about having a lot of piercings, you will be able to say that you have simultaneously had more artificial holes in your body than they have!

    Have a good nap! Jacque is coming through London tonight on her way to Prague on a long layover, so we'll be able to send our joint love and good thoughts your way!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. still reading every word and sharing it all with the old girls in Twiggs County. They devour each tidbit as do I. We are there with you with every breath and every step. Keith and Peg, we send our love to you. I guess Mary and Delma have a blog-savvy person on their end. I'm going to get J, K and D to write something so I can send it directly from them tonight. XOXOXO Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily: another day, and a few tubes lost and gained. The Bionic woman performs feats and miracles everyday. Keep up the incredible and heroic efforts....thank you for taking the time to share with all of us.....love all of you, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em! I have been following every word from you dad, I check my computer many times a day these days because of you! So happy to hear that you're doing so well. All of the Maui Welker's are senidng love and happy, healthy thoughts your way. I hope we get a chance to see you soon (without 3 suitcases of medical equipment in tow)
    All my love, Briana

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, you can choose Name/URL and just type in your name. Or choose anonymous and sign your name at the end of your comment.