Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday evening @ 6:00 pm pacific time

A quick update: Emily has slept most of the afternoon after arriving in her room at about 2:00. She surfaced slowly from the anathesia of surgery. She is having quite serious pain from the surgery and the hope is that it can be controlled with a boost in her pain meds. That and time to start healing. It really isn't much fun at the moment but she is taking a steady stream of ice chips and just had some jello. Maybe a full meal in a day or two, they have a pretty good salmon meal here that is her favorite. Emily also has established firm control. When she they were preparing to slide her from the transport litter to the room bed, some one asked casually if she could move her legs a bit. The reply was, 'not unless you can promise not to pull on that tube.' They said just please move your legs a bit. 'nope not unless you promise no pulls. ' Well you can bet the promise was made and duly kept.
So, hoping for a nice dull quite night, these first nights post surgical have a history of way more drama than is necessary. We have her bed made up with sheets and pillows from home. A little window box is on the bedside table with a lucky stones from her travels and little tokens that friends have given, a little toy tiger[filling in for Nicky] and watching over us all is Ted the teddy bear who has traveled with her most everywhere for about twenty years. He is an experienced and steady hand. Her nurse until seven pm is an old friend that has helped her for the past four years here at UW. There have been quite a few comments. Thanks to all. If you are just catching up, remember that the posts are from current to old as you scroll down the page. You may have missed some and to click on 'comments' at the bottom of each post to let you see other folks comments. More tomorrow.  

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Great news that the surgery appears to have gone well. Glad to hear that Emily is staying in control of things. I'm sure she'll see that the pain is kept under control as well as possible. Peg and Keith - take care of yourselves. All of the Kolbs are keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Em! Just another speed bump in the road of life! As always you are an inspiration, this is just another day in the life of Extremily, but to the rest of us a great time for reflexion and positive thoughts sent your way. I wish you a very fast recovery and have my fingers crossed that they have found the root of the pain. We have rivers to run and Mountains to climb! Love Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, Keith, and Peg...This is so much better than listening to the opening games of FSU and Oregon. Sometimes you guys keep everything in perspective. Blessings through the night. Mike J

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! I am so happy those lungs look beautiful (but of course they would ;-) Great news today on the Monfort front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the BEST possible outcome! Thinking of you and sending hugs to all of you with hopes that your back in Eugene soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All! Good morning from London. Hope you are all having a peaceful and pain-free night... love you Em!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Monforts! I'm so hoping the night brought some sleep for all of you, and less pain for Emily. Fantastic news about how great the lungs look. I"m sure Em has been very explicit in 'telling' her lungs what she expects of them. Now give the same riot act to the pain and come home to Eugene. Love and hugs to all, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em,Peg,Keith, our thoughts and prayers are with you as you make your way over this latest bump in the road. Hang in there Em. You are one tough girl and we love you and are rooting for you! Aunt Patti and Uncle Carl

    ReplyDelete
  9. we love you, em!! thanks, K, for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're thinking about you, Emily! You're amazing!

    Stacey & Trever

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Em, Peg and Keith,
    So glad to hear the surgery went well, I'm sorry it's still so painful for you. Hopefully that will pass quickly!
    I'll be in to visit you tomorrow after work, I get off at 5. I hope that'll be a good time. Sorry I can't be there today. Look forward to seeing you soon my dear,

    ash

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Ms. Em, I was awake in the wee morning hours last night and kept looking at my phone and wondering if you might be up for a morphine induced chat--I know I was and I wasn't even using any morphine. I hope that means your night had some well deserved and needed rest to it, yet my memory is that isn't usually the case that first night after surgery. Don't forget dear heart 24/7. You've got my number.
    nick

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! So glad the surgery went well. I'm crossing my fingers for you that this was the source of the pain. Of course now you have to deal with all the post-op pain before you can even tell if the surgery helped.... Thinking of you as I write my secondary applications to med school. Sleep well tonight,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily, Peggy and Keith I am keeping all of you in my prayers. All of your Florida family is cheering for you Emily. I hope all of you have a peaceful rest tonight. Thank you for keeping us posted.

    Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. E, P, K,
    I wanted to make sure to wish you the best of healing luck and love today. 9-9-09 has a lot of love and fortune in it [seeing as it's also my birthday], and I wish you all a peaceful night.
    Love always,
    Anya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you guys all the time and sending light to burn up that stinking pain, Em. We're all with you, all the way. I'm hoping you'll be home soon and pain free. Love and hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Emily! I'm sorry you have to go through another surgery, but I hope you get some relief from it. And you seriously like that salmon dinner?? YUCK! Hahaha! Over all UW's food is decent. Except what's up with tater tots as "breakfast potatos"? And I don't like that you can't order after 7:30. Anyway! I am wishing you great nurses, awesome pain control, and a short stay. If you get a nurse named Gary with long hair tell him Jessi says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. five day trip down the rogue huh? sounds about right:) thinking of you. wishing you powerful pain meds and obedient and attentive staff. sending thoughts of love, patience and strength.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, you can choose Name/URL and just type in your name. Or choose anonymous and sign your name at the end of your comment.