Saturday, February 20, 2010

Broken Cartilage

This is a random little update. Two months ago I had a freak accident with my dog, Gus. Through a series of random events he slammed into my chest at full speed. 60lbs. of Golden Retriever slamming into any one's chest would hurt, so slamming into a rib cage that is still recovering from a transplant surgery REALLY hurt. It completely knocked the wind out of me and I went down like a sack of potatoes. Everyone was very worried about my lungs, hoping nothing had happened to them. I got examined and x-rayed and it was determined that my lungs were fine and I had probably bruised some cartilage.
Well two months later I was still having intense pain and could not sleep because the pain about doubled when I tried lay down, I knew something was going on. (Not to mention I was slowly beginning to go insane from sleep deprivation.) So I made and appointment with my pain doctor for while I was up here in Seattle. Turns out my cartilage isn't bruised, it is BROKEN. Ouch.
The Doc' gave me a big lidocain injection (which hurt like a mother f---er) but helped a lot with the pain. I just have to give it time to heal (which will take FOREVER because I am prednisone. Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory , so it has basically obliterated any inflammation in the body. (I am on this drug as part of my cocktail of meds to prevent rejection of my new organs) the thing is, you need inflammation for cartilage to heal, because that is what triggers the growth of new tissue to heal the brake.) Sooo, that is why it is going to take forever to heal, because my inflammatory process is interrupted by the prednisone.
So broken cartilage obviously sucks, but I am very, very glad that the pain has nothing to do with my lungs.

6 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie, just catching up on your posts here - your blog is my homepage so I am always reminded of you when I open up my computer in the morning :)

    I didn't know that happened, really sorry to hear that. I hope that it heals quickly, you don't need any more pain to live with!!
    xxBrooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Good Lord!! I am sorry to hear this but so glad that it is nothing with your lungs!!!
    I love you and am praying for you always!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    Your father guilted me the other day for not responding to your 1 year anniversary blog. Make sure you let him know that the family around the corner thinks about you all the time, and that it's always heart-warming and uplifting whenever we see you out and about, looking healthy and happy. Congratulations. By the way, you can celebrate the anniversary whenever the heck you like, however you like, and as often as you like!

    Sandy & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was scanning fellow ultrarunner Craig Thornley's blog and ran across yours. I have a friend who's son has the early stages of CF and wanted to wish you the best in your recovery. Wow! A new set of lungs. Amazing what doctors can do for us now. The best to you. -craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, Emily, I didn't realize you & Gus had a head-on (chest-on?) collision! I am glad you got it checked out, but sorry the pain was so bad. May you heal quickly, & Gus, too! (Heel, I mean, as in: I hope he minds his manners better!) Love, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Em,
    I've thought a lot about your open-hearted one-year post. The gamut of emotions, as well as the physical roller coasters you've experienced in this past year and counting, must be beyond even your eloquent verbiage to truly express. Thanks for trying, so the rest of us can get a glimpse into what you have been through. Your bravery is a magnificent thing to witness, though I'm sure the down days are very difficult too.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your fractured cartilage. That's really a bummer. But my second impression was, "How cool that she's alive and able to be smacked in the chest by her big, loving dog. Sounds like a NORMAL thing that could happen to anyone."
    Give yourself and your folks a big, (gentle) hug from me. The article in the RG about Pilar made me think back to the days when we three were so close. Sweet memories for me.

    Love,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a profile, you can choose Name/URL and just type in your name. Or choose anonymous and sign your name at the end of your comment.